Welcome! This web page was created to help our KBYG instructors present the Know Before You Go program.
This season’s KBYG presentation has changed in look and content, and we want to ensure you are prepared for instruction. If you have questions, concerns or continual issues, please contact: Brian Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
The materials are copyrighted and you, by downloading these, are agreeing to use them for educational purposes only and not for any commercial or promotional purposes. The photos, videos, and music used in this program have been licensed from many sources for non-profit educational use only. Use of this material in an unauthorized way is a violation of US copyright law, threatens our relationships with supporters, and will be prosecuted. Segments of the video may not be cut out and used separately without permission. Contact us if you have any questions.
1. Download a copy of the KBYG video here. (you may also order a DVD copy of the video. Please contact us to do so).
2. Download the PowerPoint presentation in whichever format you desire. We provide a PC version of both the ADULT and SCHOOL slide decks. The SCHOOL presentation is designed for 8th grade, but can easily be presented to adults. Click here to view and download the presentations.
3. Download the KBYG lesson plan here.
4. Download the KBYG Presenter Manual and Presentation Notes here.
5. The KBYG presentation consists of showing the video, giving a talk based on the slide deck, and doing a Q&A. The program can be done in 40-50 minutes (a typical school period) if you move fairly quickly and have limited Q&A, an hour is much more casual. It can easily go an hour and a half with detailed questions.
KBYG will only be successful if our instructors are provided with the right tools. We rely on each of you to be part of a consistent feedback loop. You are part of the Know Before You Go community and your participation allows us to continuously improve the program. We expect the following:
- All courses must be scheduled through the KBYG Course Scheduling link.
- Share your lessons learned and please give us feedback on how we can make this program better.
- Complete the Instructors Post Course Form. Reaching a large audience across Colorado is key to the success of this program and getting ongoing funding to continue it.
DETAILED MATERIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
PRESENTATION CONTENT CHANGES
The updated KBYG presentation is very similar to the previous version. However, some content has been changed. Please:
- Use Power Point 2010. Any older versions of Power Point used to present the slide deck may cause glitches.
- Review the presentation’s slides and notes. This is very important! For your convenience, we created a separate PDF document with the presentation’s notes (both for the Adult and School versions). Access these notes HERE.
- Consider changing some content for your audience. For example, you may replace a current slide’s photo to a photo of Colorado-specific terrain. Changes can only be made to the following slides:
- Slide 14
- Slide 19
- Please do not make any changes to the general content, title slides or sponsorship information.
Download a PDF version of a tri-fold brochure that you can use to promote KBYG in your community here: KBYG_CO_Brochure. We also have hard copies of this brochure. If you would like to use those, please contact us.
1. Download the KBYG video by clicking here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/duk3fotkqhoy5tv/AADk_ZhhlgjFg32lkHBwDkIqa?dl=0
Anticipate 1-2 hours (depending on your internet speed) to complete the download.
You will need Quicktime or some other software that will play .mov files.
2. Order a DVD. The cost of the DVD is $15. That covers the cost of preparation and shipping.
3. You can view and run the video on Vimeo here but we don’t recommend using that for a public presentation due to variable connection speeds.
Click here to view and download the presentations.
POWER POINT (PLEASE USE POWER POINT 2010 OR NEWER!)
- In the folder named “KBYG Presentations” you will find a zip file named “Colorado KBYG Presentation – Fall 2016” containing all the video’s, SCHOOL and ADULT PPT, and optional presentation notes to print. We recommend downloading this zip file. It will be easiest to run from this folder as the video’s and media are already linked.
- The presentations have useful features like the Presenter Notes and Presenter Screen.
- The presentations have embedded videos which might require a little work on your end if you find the media files will not play (See ‘Importance of Review’ section below for further instructions).
- IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOT RENAME THE FOLDER OR ANY FILES OR SEPARATE THEM FROM EACH OTHER INTO DIFFERENT FOLDERS.
THE IMPORTANCE OF REVIEW
Prior to each course taught, familiarize yourself with the notes and operation of the power point presentation. Be sure to test the slide show on your computer or the computer you will be using to ensure all videos and animations are working properly. If they are NOT working properly, you must reinsert videos that are not working yourself.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD VIDEOS:
1. Refer to the Google Drive for access to all videos.
2. Videos are labeled according to the slide they belong on. Find the appropriate video for the slide.
3. Download to your computer and save the file in folder that you can find easily.
STEPS TO INSERTING VIDEOS IN PPT:
1. Open the KBYG power point presentation.
2. Find the appropriate slide you need to insert the video to.* Click the slide so that it is selected.
*Reminder: Each video is labeled according to the slide it belongs to. Keep in mind that some, but not all, videos belong on different slides for the ADULT and SCHOOL version. If a video belongs to a different slide for both versions, the video is saved appropriately. For example, the same video is saved as ‘ADULT Slide 37’ and ‘SCHOOL Slide 30’. If the video belongs on the same slide for both versions, it is simply saved as ‘Slide 17’.
3. Click the ‘Insert’ tab.
4. Click ‘Video’ and select ‘Video on My PC’.
5. Find the folder where you saved the downloaded video.
6. Select the video and click ‘Insert’.
7. The video will appear on your slide. You may resize the video as needed.
8. Test you slide show and ensure the video plays.
9. Do not forget to the SAVE the power point!
Lastly, we want to extend a well-deserved thank you to all of our instructors for your talents, efforts and dedication to KBYG. Your impact reaches far and wide. Thank you for your preparation and review of your presentation materials to ensure the highest quality and most impactful KBYG program.